This Policy applies as between you, the User of this Web Site and AJ Knight Property Services Ltd the owner and provider of this Web Site. This Policy applies to our use of any and all Data collected by us in relation to your use of the Web Site and any Services or Systems therein.
Policy updated June 2018
‘we’, ‘us’ or ‘our’ means AJ Knight Property Ltd;
‘the site’ means AJ Knight Property website you are visiting or engaging with; and
‘you’ and ‘your’ means you, the person engaging with us, registering for our services or visiting our site.
How you can contact us
Address: Unit 8, Aura House, New Road, Havant, Hampshire, PO9 1DE
Telephone: 02393 954111
Information we may collect about you
We use different ways to collect data about you including the information you supply to us when using our services. If you fail to provide certain information we may not be able to provide you with the service you require. The data gathered depends on whether you are an applicant wanting to just view a property, a tenant taking a property or a landlord advertising a property. We will also hold differing amounts of data depending on whether we manage the property for the landlord or not.
As necessary personal data is processed by us, we retain the following data as applicable: –
- Name, email and telephone numbers
- Personal/background information including occupation/status
- Bank details
- Verification and credit status
- Right to Rent ID such as copies of passports, driving licenses and residency permits
- Deposit (if any) including return on tenancy termination
- Tenancy details including renewals, joint tenants, other residents and guarantors
- Immigration/right to rent checks (England only)
- Rent and other payments
- Recovery of arrears, claims or possession proceedings
- Repairs/health and safety/housing conditions
- Breach of tenancy terms/nuisance/anti social behaviour
- Council Tax liability
- Water charges payable
- Utilities and services provided
- Welfare Benefits
- Termination of tenancy
- Audio and CCTV recordings (if any)
- Health or disability
- Emails texts and other communications and via our website where we operate one
- Website and online portal information
- Identity and contact details including car registration
We also generate and use data internally, e.g. our rent records if managing the property.
We also collect and receive data about you from third parties. This may be information given to us by the landlord, other tenants or residents or neighbours. It can include information from a guarantor where there is a guarantor for your tenancy or from a joint tenant or other residents. Public bodies such as local authorities or the police, or other law enforcement agencies may give us information about you. This can include the Department for Work and Pensions or the local authority where you are receiving Universal Credit or housing benefit. Information may be given to us relevant to Council Tax by the local authority. Utility companies or service providers may also give us personal information about you. We obtain information about you when we carry out credit checks or take up references. We may also receive information from you via websites or from online rental portals such as Rightmove, Zoopla or Gumtree for example.
How we use information about you
The various purposes for which it may be necessary for us to process different categories of your information include: –
- In our legitimate interests to ensure you are allowed to advertise or rent out the property
- In our legitimate interests for deciding on the suitability of a proposed tenant/resident
- In our legitimate interests for verifying the credit worthiness/suitability of tenants/residents
- Our legal obligation to check immigration status/right to rent. This is also to verify identities.
- To perform our tenancy contract to deal with joint tenants and residents who are linked to the tenancy
- To perform our contract to complete the tenancy agreement
- In our legitimate interests to secure rental payments/performance of tenant obligations, e.g. deposits and guarantors
- For contractual performance for rent collection and collection of other payments including banking details
- For contractual performance for managing the tenancy and the property
- For contractual performance and/or in our legitimate interests for record keeping
- For contractual performance for arranging repairs and maintaining the condition of the property and keeping it in a safe condition.
- For contractual performance for monitoring and enforcement of tenant responsibilities
- For contractual performance or in our legitimate interests for recovering debts and other payments due, including any possession proceedings
- In our legitimate interests for administering liability for Council Tax
- In our legitimate interests and those of the provider relating to arranging and paying for utilities and services
- In our legitimate interests for dealing with welfare benefits (including Universal Credit and housing benefit) where payable in respect of the rent
- In our legitimate interests in relation to tenancy termination including the return of any deposit
- In our legitimate interests for processing complaints
- For contractual performance or in our legitimate interests for dealing with health and disability issues relating to tenants/residents
- In our legitimate interests for obtaining and holding audio and cctv recordings
- To perform our legal obligations to provide information to public or local authorities who are legally entitled to require this information
- In your vital interests for contacting next of kin etc., in an emergency
- In our legitimate interests for the storage of emails, records of calls and other communications
- In accordance with our legal obligations if you exercise your rights under data protection law
- To perform our legal obligations for compliance with legal and regulatory requirements
- In our legitimate interests for the establishment and defence of legal rights
- In our legitimate interests for prevention, detection and investigation of crime and anti social behaviour and the security of any website or other means of electronic communication
We may change the purposes where this is compatible for the purpose for which we obtained the data originally. If we need to use your data for a non-compatible purpose we will notify you and explain the legal gateway that allows us to do so. We may process your information without your knowledge where this is required or permitted by law.
Who we might share your data with
We never sell your data.
In certain circumstances we may share your personal information with:
Selected third parties that we work with, where necessary for the purposes of delivering to you services that you request from us. For example, when you are reference checked, we need to share your information with a third party referencing sub-contractor. Where we use such third parties, those third parties are obligated to protect your data in accordance with the prevailing General Data Protection Regulations.
Selected third parties that you consent to our sharing your information with for marketing purposes (such consent will be sought prior to our sharing of this data).
Any other third parties where necessary to enable us to enforce our legal rights, or to protect the rights, property or safety of our employees or where such disclosure may be permitted or required by law.
For the purposes of delivering to you services that you request from us, we must record your data on our property management system. Your data (name, email address, telephone number) may also be provided to other third party companies in order that we can provide you with the service you have requested from us, for example our reference provider, so that they can provide you with reference reports, and other information that is relevant to you; inventory clerks; gas engineers; EPC assessors etc. If we’re managing the property for you, we’ll also require additional information such as ID and bank details (for rent payments).
For the purposes of delivering to you services that you request from us, we must record your data on our property management system. Your data will be provided to landlords in order that they can contact you to arrange your viewing. Your data (name, email address, telephone number) may also be provided to other third party companies in order that we can provide you with the service you have requested from us, for example our reference provider, so that they can complete your reference report. If you become a tenant of a property we have advertised, we may provide your data to utility companies and the council in order that you can billed directly for services provided. It may also be necessary, from time to time, to provide your data to engineers who may attend the property for the purpose of carrying our inspections, safety certificates, maintenance work etc.
If you do not wish for cookies to be installed on your device, you can change the settings on your browser or device to reject cookies. For more information about how to reject cookies using your internet browser settings please consult the “Help” section of your internet browser (or alternatively visit www.aboutcookies.org). Please note that, if you do set your Internet browser to reject cookies, you may not be able to access all of the functions of our websites.
Third Party Content, Sites, and Contributions
How we look after your data and how long we keep it for
We use a variety of technological and operational security measures to protect your information against any unauthorised access to, unlawful use of, and modification and destruction of any personal data we store.
We will retain your information for as long as is necessary to provide you with the services that you have requested from us, or for as long as the law otherwise permits.
Transmission of information over the internet can be insecure, and although we employ measures to protect your information from unauthorised access we cannot always guarantee the security of information sent over the internet.
Where we store your information
Our servers are situated inside the European Economic Area (EEA) and all of the information that we collect about you will be stored on these servers.
Your rights in relation to your Personal Data
You have the right to:
Request a copy of the personal data that we keep about you, by making a request in writing to us. You can ask us to provide the data in a commonly used, machine readable format, and where we are able to; transmit this data to another organisation.
Contact us if you are concerned that any of the information we hold on you is incorrect, to have that data corrected.
Contact the us to ask us to stop processing your data, or withdraw consent where we are relying on consent as the legal basis for any processing of your data.
Contact us to request that we delete your personal data.
To lodge a complaint with the data protection authorities if you believe we have not complied with any applicable data protection law. In the UK, the relevant authority is the Information Commissioners Office, you can find their details at www.ico.org.uk
Changes of Business Ownership and Control
AJ Knight Property Ltd may expand or reduce its business and this may involve the sale of certain divisions or the transfer of control of certain divisions to other parties. Data provided by you will, where it is relevant to any division so transferred, be transferred along with that division and the new owner or newly controlling party will, under the terms of this Policy, be permitted to use the Data for the purposes for which it was supplied by you.
In the event that any Data submitted by you will be transferred in such a manner, you will not be contacted in advance and informed of the changes.